Sunday, September 25, 2011

New MSC Guria District Natanebi Village

The Mechanization Service Center was in the middle of construction.  We were greeted with apologies about we don’t have a proper place to meet and I responded with “we’re farmers and we can sit in the field or meet under the trees.”  There were nice big evergreen trees along the road bank near the construction site.  About 10 men congregated under the trees and began vehemently complaining about the American caterpillar that’s their biggest problem – it eats all crops.  Caterlillars were tossed onto the tree stump in the center of the assembly.  I said I don’t know about these worms and I don’t have them on my farm.

The farmers were obviously eagerly anticipating the establishment of a machinery center and elaborated how desperate they were in need of mechanization.  The owner described how the grant wound buy large tractors and implements and with his own money he would buy some 25 horsepower tractors and smaller machinery for the small farmers.

As typical of no-till discussions it always questioned “Can it work in our soils?” and in this case “This is  the sub-tropical region.”  I said get a shovel – we’ll take a look.

The shovel was unlike any I’ve seen – a straight blade with a straight handle made from a tree branch.  The adjacent field was an abandoned tea crop in transition to brush.  I tramped the shovel into the soil but a man insisted on doing the digging for me digging down about 16 inches.  I spaded a soil profile then held it on the shovel blade.  I described the soil, and based on the soil, theorized the history of the field which seemed to impress the farmers that I knew something of what I was talking about.  I said this field has not been tilled for many years and pointed to the layer of dark organic matter in the top few inches.  Underneath is clay – good clay as it is bright yellow orange.  If it were blue or grey it would indicate poor drainage.  Drainage is important for this area as they receive 300 centimeters of rain per year (120 inches).  The owner gave an example of his plowing an abandoned field and received good yields for the first two years without fertilizer after which the field required much fertilizer.  We discussed how tillage burns organic matter and decreases soil microbes. 

About six men were intensely interested in my talk, but off in a side discussion our driver was robustly pontificating with four or five men.  Because I don’t understand Georgian and the interpreter was concentrating on translation, I don’t know if that discussion was adding or interfering with our objectives.  Whatever it was somewhat distracting.

Just as we were summing up our discussions about no till, a huge Soviet articulated tractor with a three bottom moldboard plow roared up to the MSC.  They said it was 150 horsepower.  They have been plowing 40 centimeters (16 inches) deep hoping to alleviate compaction.

The big tractor started up with a pony motor and roared off down the road belching smoke, and the owner of the MSC invited us to have some bread and soup with him at a restaurant in town.  We arrived in the small town to where a few parking spots were designated reserved parking.  As we stopped an elderly man moved the signs for us to park directly in front of the entrance to what appeared a very upscale establishment.  Entering, this restaurant was more than elegant – exclusive for the elite.  We were seated in a private room with elegant tableware.  The dining party consisted of the MSC owner, his assistant, our driver, Ia the interpreter, me and a new person – the toast master.  This dinner included many toasts, many courses of elegant and delicious food, veal, pork, fish, many vegetable and mushroom dishes, soft drinks and much wine.  The toast master and the MSC owner did many of the excessive wine drinking ceremonies and bid me to participate which I did but only sipping the wine.  I said I concede superiority to the Georgians in handling their drink.  This was a very fun and delectable two hour lunch.





No comments:

Post a Comment